Sunday, April 12, 2009

Homesick? Yes.

I've been feeling pretty homesick lately, especially since David has been putting in a ton of hours at work. There is somewhat of a balance to that homesickness here, though, since Singapore has many things to offer that are similar to home. Thinking about this conflict, I decided to write a fun post listing some things that I have here and some things that I miss.

5 Things Singapore doesn't have that make me miss home (See how eloquent I am?)

  1. Friends and family - Ok I don't want to get all shmoopy on here, but seriously, you guys are very important. We have some friends here from the US that we are hanging out with a lot (Ben, Heather, and Heath) and other friends that we are making along the way, but the distance to the others in our lives is a bit hard to take.
  2. Wendy's - To be fair we saw a Wendy's while we were in Kuala Lumpur. We couldn't read any of the street signs or figure out where it was once we were out of the taxi, so it pretty much didn't count since we couldn't find it again.
  3. My car!!! - Ok maybe not my old car, but a car that is mine to drive. I'm grooving on the public transport here, but it is seriously patronizing to get chauffeured around by David all the time. Plus he's a crazy driver in Singapore! (don't listen Mom)
  4. Baseball - Don't give me that crap about baseball being boring. You know what's boring? Cricket. And F1 racing. And futbol and rugby and all these other silly sports. What? You say I missed Oswalt pitch the home opener? I know. I know. But I "watched" it on the espn play by play text updater on my iPhone. Joy.
  5. My backyard - This one is really here for the MoMo. She does not like having to ride an elevator to do her business. She is not happy about going out where all the dogs in the condo go out. And she really can't figure out why I keep following her around with little baggies. And for the record, I do miss mowing the lawn and doing work outside in general. If I were to try to do that here 2 things would happen. 1) People would talk about the crazy American. 2) I would die of heat stroke.

5 Things in Singapore that make me feel at home (and so succinct!)
  1. David and Molly - Of course having my hubby around makes me feel at home anywhere. And after months of worry and heartache, the Momo arrived in Singapore in January and got out of her 30 day long quarantine on Feb 18th. She makes our lives happy every day. Ok I know we need to have kids.
  2. iPhone - We've both got(unlocked) iPhones when we got here, which means I get to carry around something that brings me close to home wherever I am - Country music. No sighs or rolling of eyes, please. I have other music in my collection, but there's something about some Brad Paisley that calms my soul.
  3. The Mullet - I had to put this one in here. It seems as though many Indian men here haven't learned from this fashion disaster of redneck men in US in the 80s, and are sporting a hairstyle so similar to theirs that I have named it the Indian mullet. It makes me smile...and also to want to say "Git R Done" for some reason.
  4. Subway - There's one around the corner. They have the same menu, except for some Asia only additions such as the tandoori chicken. And get this, it's cheaper here! And they toast everything that they can get their hands on. "Not toasted, I said, NOT toasted!"
  5. Skype! - This is an amazing and free tool we use to video conference with everyone in the US! None of us can believe it's free, but we are supporting Logitech's webcam business more than we believed we ever would! We are on Skype as jacque.wicker, so if you have a webcam follow the link and give us a call!

So this wasn't the most serious and informative post ever, you say? I say you should be happy to have a post at all!!

No, don't be mad. Please come back I didn't mean it. I promise to have photo-loaded, data-rich posts in the future. For now, this is helping me miss home in a semi-productive way!

2 comments:

  1. Happy to get the link to your blog. Will be waiting for the promised pics. I missed the fires, so far, but got plenty of rain, hail and wind. Because of that, I now have a new roof, new gutters, new wire on 7 of my window screens. I also got the outside of house painted. I posted this info a few minutes ago, but lost it when I attempted to 'select a profile'. Hope this one goes through. Love you all. Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your insurance company is better than mine! We're so happy you've been safe, although likely a little worried.

    ReplyDelete