Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Adventures in Transportation

Before I got here, I read and heard a lot about transportation in Singapore. They have a very well developed public transportation system including MRTs (subways), LRT (light rail), buses and more. As a compliment to this transit system, personal cars are very expensive here, with a mid range compact car costing in the $40K range. Now, David's company is leasing a car for us to use, so I was and still am interested in seeing how much we use each type of available transportation. For now, I'm using mostly public transportation. Here is a picture of a normal MRT station:

I'm also using taxis when I'm running late, since it takes a while to use the public transportation what with all the walking and waiting, loading and unloading, more walking and waiting. You get the picture.

So that I could get used to driving here in Singapore, where they follow the British standard of driving on the wrongleft side of the road, and so that I would have a way to pick David up from the airport (next week!!!!), I rented a car through my company. It's a Toyota Altis, and from what I've seen it's a mid size car here.

Ha!!! Mid-size - shmid-size


What's Wrong with This Picture?


Even the blinker is on the wrong side, causing me to repeatedly and with no control turn on my windshield wipers. At least Singaporeans seem to have no need to laugh at foreigners so I'm the only one laughing. I think. Do you think they're laughing at me? I gotta go.

There is another form of transportation I will under no circumstances be attempting. One of the legs of it takes people from the mainland to the beach island Sentosa. Forgive the photo quality, it was taken with my iPhone and it was raining at the time.

I know Dad is with me when I say, "Yeah right!".

Ok I'm off to do some cross-stitching before bed. Hope all of you are having good mornings and evenings...

No comments:

Post a Comment